Sunday, September 27, 2020

'Duah': Invocations to Allah- XII

Alhamdulillah, Summa Alhamdulillah - By the Grace of Allah, it is the twelfth week today since I have been speaking to you about “duahs” (invocations or supplications to Allah, The Unique God) in my Friday sermons. Today I present to you some “duahs” that are found in the Holy Quran. All the movements in prayers [be it in Salat & duahs] express the deepest humility before God. The tongue and heart, body and soul come together to sing the praises of God and to praise His Glory and Greatness, and to express verbally and concretely the most complete state of weakness and humility of man. In the Holy Quran Allah (swt) has shown us many duahs through His Messengers. Now I present to you these few Quranic duahs


To seek the good of this world and the hereafter:

Rabbana aatina fid-dunya hasanataww wa fil ‘akhirati hasanataww waqina ‘azaaban-naar. Our Lord, grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter, and save us from the chastisement of the fire!  

Rabbana hablana min azwaajina wa zurriy-yatina, qurrata ayuniww-wa-jalna lil-muttaqeena Imaama. Our Lord! Grant unto us wives and offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes, and give us (the grace) to lead the righteous. 

Rabbi innii limaa anzalta ilayya min khayrin faqiir. My Lord, I am in great need of whatever good You bestow on me.  


Rabbana afrigh ‘alayna sabran wa sabbit aqdaamana wansurna ‘alal-qawmil-kafireen. Our Lord! Bestow on us endurance, make our foothold sure, and give us help against the disbelieving folk.


Rabbi awzinii an ashkura ni’mata kallatii an amta alayya wa alaa waalidayya wa an a’mala saalihan tarzaahu wa adkhildnii bi Rahmatika fii ibaadikas saalihiin. 

My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favour which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to do righteousness of which You approve. And admit me by Your mercy into [the ranks of] Your righteous servants.


Rabbana-ghfir lana wa li ‘ikhwani nallazina sabaquna bil imani wa la taj’al fi qulubina ghillal-lillazina aamanu ; Rabbana innaka Ra’uufur Rahim.

Our Lord! Forgive us, and our brethren who came before us into the Faith, and leave not, in our hearts, rancour (or sense of injury) against those who have believed. O our Lord, verily You are the Most Kind, The Ever Merciful!


Invocation to God to have the good of this world in general:


Allahumma Maalikal Mulki tu’til Mulka man tashaa’u wa tanzi’ul Mulka mimman tashaaa. Wa tu’izzu man tashaa; biyadikal Khayr. Innaka alaa kulli shay’in Qadiir. Tuulijul layla fin’nahaari wa tuulijun nahaara fil layl; wa tukhrijul hayya minal mayyiti wa tukhrijul mayyita minal hayyi wa tarzuqu man tashaa’u bi’gayri hisaab. 

O Allah, Owner of Sovereignty, You give sovereignty to whom You will and You take sovereignty away from whom You will. You honour whom You will and You abase whom You will. In Your hand is [all] good. Indeed, You have power over everything. You make the night to enter into the day, and You make the day to enter into the night, You bring the living out of the dead, and You bring the dead out of the living. And You give wealth and sustenance to whom You will, without limit (measure or account).


Invocation for your parents:

Rabbir hamhuma kama rabbayani sagheera. My Lord, have mercy upon them as they brought me up [when I was a child].


When you want to have children:

Rabbi laa tazarnii fardanw-wa anta khayrul waarisiin. My Lord, do not leave me alone (grant me children) and You are the best of the inheritors.


To have pious children:

Rabbi hablii milladunka zurriyyatan tayyibah; innaka Samii’ud Du’aa. O my Lord, give me, from You, excellent [pious] offspring, for You are the One who hears prayers well.


Rabbana amanna bima anzalta wattaba’ nar-Rusula fak-tubna ma'ash-Shahideen.  Our Lord, we believe in what You have revealed, and we follow the Messenger! Then write us down among those who bear witness!


Invocation to God against the punishment of hell:

Rabbanas-rif ‘anna ‘azaaba jahannama inna ‘azaabaha kaana gharama innaha sa’at musta-qarraww-wa muqama.

Our Lord, remove us from the torment of hell, which is truly the most excruciating torment, as well as a bad place to sojourn and to rest!


Invocation for forgiveness and deliverance from hell:

Rabbana innana amanna faghfir lana zunuubana wa qinna ‘azaaban-Naar.

Our Lord, we have believed; forgive us our sins and save us from the punishment of the fire!


Invocation to God to avoid enemies and bad company:

Rabbi a’uzu bika min hamazaatish shayaatiini, wa a’uzu bika Rabbi ayy’ yahzuruun. O my Lord, I seek Your protection, against the incitements of the devils. And I seek Your protection, Lord, against their presence near me.


Rabbij’alnii muqii mas’salaati wa min zurriyyatii, Rabbana wa taqabbal du’aa. Rabbanagfir lii wa liwaalidayya wa lil Muminiina yawma yaquumul hisaab.

O my Lord! Make me assiduously perform Salat as well as part of my descendants; hear my prayer, O our Lord!  O our Lord! Forgive me, my mother and father and the believers on the Day of the Reckoning.


Call on God for forgiveness, steadfastness and His help:


Rabbana la tuzigh quloobana ba’da iz hadaytana wa hab lana milladunka rahmah innaka antal Wahhaab.   Our Lord! Do not deviate our hearts after you have guided us! Grant us Your mercy, for You are the Supreme Provider.


Rabbana-ghfir lana zuu’nuubana wa israfana fi amrina wa sabbit aqdamana wansurna ‘alal qawmil kafireen.  Our Lord, forgive us our sins and our excesses. Strengthen our steps and grant us victory over the infidels!


Invocation before/ during a journey:

Rabbi anzilnii munzalam mubaarakaww wa anta khayrul munziliin. 

My Lord, bring me to my destination in a blessed way, for You are the Best of those who bring people to their destination.


I end here for today. Insha-Allah, may Allah give me the Tawfiq to continue on the same subject next week [the duahs of the Holy Quran]. I end with these few words: Whoever weeps, throughout his Salat or his supplication (duah) finds peace. Just as the child, who cries and laments in the arm of his mother, is comforted by the love and compassion of his mother, in the same way, he who humbly pleads with God, places himself in the arm of the Providence and Compassion of God.

May Allah give you pleasure in your prayers and supplications and accept your pious requests for your own benefit as well as the benefit of the Ummah of our beloved prophet Hazrat Muhammad (pbuh) and all mankind. Insha-Allah, Ameen.

---Friday Sermon of 25 September 2020~ 07 Safar 1442 AH delivered by Hazrat Khalifatullah Munir A. Azim (aba) of Mauritius.