Monday, July 15, 2024

‘When I Die’: A Reminder

  

‘Every soul will taste death and you will be paid in full only on the Day of Resurrection. Whoever is kept away from the Fire and admitted to the Garden will have triumphed. The present world is only an illusory pleasure.’ (3:186)


‘Bear in mind that the present life is just a game, a diversion, an attraction, a cause of boasting among you, of rivalry in wealth and children. It is like plants that spring up after the rain: their growth at first delights the sowers, but then you see them wither away, turn yellow, and become stubble. There is terrible punishment in the next life as well as forgiveness and approval from God; the life of this world is only an illusory pleasure. So race for your Lord’s forgiveness and a Garden as wide as the heavens and earth, prepared for those who believe in God and His messengers: that is God’s bounty, which He bestows on whoever He pleases. God’s bounty is infinite.’ (57:22) 


‘Lord, inspire me to be thankful for the blessings You have granted me and my parents, and to do good deeds that please You; admit me by Your grace into the ranks of Your righteous servants.’ (27:20)


Life is transient in this world, and the lost moment never comes back. It is our responsibility to be conscious of our precious opportunity in this world before go forever from here to the Hereafter: to be good, and to do good; to uphold justice and to help God and His messenger/s, in our times among the people. On the Day of Resurrection and of Judgement, we are to give an account of our deeds- good and bad- to the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe, our Lord Almighty as we await our rewards- the Paradisical Gardens of Divine pleasure and nearness in the world to come; or, our punishment- the Hellfire of Divine Anger and Rejection, God Forbid.  

 

Reproduced Below is a powerful reminder on the big picture of human life in this world, and the forthcoming accountability that everyone of us need to be prepared for, in the world to come after death and departure from here; a devout Muslim writer of Arab descent has left behind a succinct statement of our essential beliefs on individual accountability on the Day of Judgement when we face the chronicle of our records before God:

 

‘I will not worry at my death or care unduly about my body, for my Muslim brothers will do the needful. They will undress me, wash me, wrap me up, remove me from my house and carry me to my grave.

 

Many will come to participate in my Janaaza. They would’ve took time off work or cancelled appointments to attend my funeral.

 

My stuff will be put down: My keys, books, towel, shoes, clothes, etc. If my family is okay they will donate my stuff to my benefit.

 

Be assured that the world will not mourn my death, and the movement of the world will not stop, and trade will continue, and someone else will do my work, and my wealth will be legally inherited by my heirs, while I will be accounted for it: a little, or a lot, nothing unaccounted for. 


The Frist Thing To Be Lost


The first thing I lose to death will be my name. When I die, they'll be asking, "where the body is at? They won’t call me by my name. When they want to perform Salah for me they will say bring Janaza. They won’t call me by my name. When they are ready to bury me they will say bring the dead body.  They won’t mention my name. 


For this reason, I will not be deceived by my clan, tribe, status and fame. How insignificant this world is compared to what we will face.


What’s Next?


People are divided in the way they express their sorrow on your departure.

1.     Those who just knew you superficially, they will say: “How poor is he (you). Miskeen


2.     Those who are your friends, will remain sad for a few hours or days, then they will return to their discourses and entertainment!


3.     Deep sorrow at home. Your family will be sad for a week or two, a month, two months or even a year after which you will be but a memory.


4.   Those whom you may hate or dislike and disagree with you, or was in a race and competition with you, definitely they will express joy and even curse you.


Your story ended among the people, but your true story has just begun, and that's beyond. You have been stripped of: Beauty, wealth, health, children, houses, castles, and your spouse. Nothing stays with you, except your actions. You have now started the "real" life. 


You see, this world was meant to be the ground upon which we walk, yet we have let it creep into our hearts. We’ve fallen in love with something that will never love us back. And it will continue to break our hearts until we realise this painful truth.


The question here is: what have you prepared for your grave and your hereafter right now? Are we prepared to face our own records? This reality requires a deep reflection.

 

So, save it up: Prayers and duties Fardh; Nafl and Sunnah prayers; Secret charity; Good deeds; Tahajjud prayers- For you to be saved.

 

Help remind people through these statements, while you are still alive. If Allah wills, you will find the effect of your reminder in your scale of good deeds on the Day of Judgment. And remember, most certainly, reminding is fruitful for the believer.

 

Why do you think the dead want to give charity if they come back to earth? As the Almighty says: ‘And donate from what We have provided you before death comes to one of you, and you cry, "My Lord!" If only You would delay me a little, I would give charity and be one of the righteous.’ [63:10] He didn't say that I would perform Umrah, or pray or fast. The deceased mentioned ‘charity’ because of what he saw of its great effect after his death.

 

So give a lot of charity, and the best charity you can do right now is to share this advice along as a reminder; after all, a kind word is charity. May Allah bless you’.

*****************