Monday, April 24, 2023

'O Allah': Whispers of the Heart

 

O Allah, forgive me my sins,

Overlook my many faults, mistakes and failings,

Absolve of me of my bad deeds

O my dear Lord, the All Hearing, the All Seeing

I take refuge with You

From the goading of the evil ones;

Save me from the pangs of Evil.



 

O Allah, strengthen my soul in its struggle

Against the evil within and outside;

Secure me from the temptations of the baser self;

Save me against my own impulses and excesses

Protect me from self-inflicted wounds

 

O Allah, do not abandon me

In the wilderness of an unguided existence;

Bless me with a share of Your grace and mercy,

Grant me a Light to walk in the footsteps

of Your noble prophets and saints

For, whoever is gifted Divine wisdom

Has truly been given much good


O Allah, bestow upon me the blessing of true knowledge

And wisdom emanating from You;

Enhance my capacity to appreciate

The wisdom ingrained in Your commands.

 

O Allah, You know Best

And Your knowledge is Decisive;

Illumine my soul with Your words,

Lead me with the wisdom of true life;

Be with me at every step of the Way

 

O Allah, grant me the courage to strive:

To do good deeds, large and small;

To enlarge my sympathy and compassion for one and all;

To command what is right and forbid what is wrong;

To bear anything that happens to me steadfastly;

To challenge myself to remain holy and pious

 

O Allah, give me the grace of being clean and healthy,

Wholesome and pure- in my being,

And in my way of doing, and remaining in life


O Allah, only the purified can dip

In the ocean of Your words

Purify my heart and mind

For the blessing of clear understanding,

And the favour of pure judgement

To make healthy choices within the bounds of the Law

O Allah, join me only with the truly righteous;

Those who are humble in soul,

And who live under Your gaze.

 

 

O Allah, I consign my matters in You

Surely You watch over Your servants

O Allah, grant me the confidence that comes

From Your watchful eyes

Give me contentment in Your Decisions for me,

And the inspiration that uplifts one’s humble deeds

 

O Allah, allow me to remain grateful

For all Your blessings and favours of life

O Allah, make my children secure

Against all misfortunes and calamities

In the crossroads of this bewildering world

May the shade of Your Mercy cover them from all harm;

May they grow up under Your watchful gaze and care.


O Allah, make my children good,

May You always be their Protector and Helper;

May they always remain in the straight path, 

Insha Allah, Aameen.

 ****************


---Abu Zaahidah (April 2023).