Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Poem: 'The Elusive Presence'

 

Oh elusive presence, where are you

If you are not with me then where are you

 


My eyes are illuminated by you

My heart is also acquainted by you

 


Come and invite my eyes and heart

Otherwise draw a sword and take my life




 


From all the beauty

and gifts of the universe

I see naught but half a life


 

Why not lose what remains with you

As without you

I do not need a hundred lives

 


You took my heart or else with you

present I’d be limitless

In your absences nothing but

dissipation is my lot

 


I would not for a moment hesitate to

love you

As I’d never take my heart away from

the soul

 


I set the pain of your love in my soul

I cast out this mind engulfed with

you toward the wilderness

 


As without your presence I have

neither heart nor religion remain

Why have you left me wandering

like this?

 


Without your face I am mute like the

face of a dinar

Your love has led me to solitude

facing the wall

 


I have not seen anyone comparable

to you

I have not seen a cypress tree like

you

 

 

If you arrive, I’ll be free once more

And if not, I will go wherever I am

 


I take a light with every finger

And look for you in every desert

and garden

 


If you appear in front of me, like

the brilliant light of a candle

Otherwise consider me an

extinguished light. 



[Written by Rabia Balkhi, 4th Hijri century mystical poet and a prominent female saintly figure in the history of Afghanistan; the poem is found in the collection of the Sufi poet Farid-ud-Din Attar's Ilaahi-Nama (Book of the Divine). Translated by Munazza Ebtikar].