Thursday, October 24, 2019

‘Ad’iyah’: Prayers of the Righteous


Qur’an addresses the human soul’s abiding quest for Divine illumination and a good life by teaching enduring prayers from the lives of the Prophets and other Divine savants of the past. These sublime invocations deal with almost every phase of the human condition, invoking the Exalted Lord’s Grace and Mercy, Forgiveness and Compassion; bringing solace and hope to the bruised and the broken; strength and courage to the deeply vulnerable; giving protection to the devotee from stumbling on the journey of life. 

Reproduced below are certain Qur’anic supplications for developing a worshipful attitude to Allah Subhaanu wa Ta’ala, Whose Sovereignty and Control defines our life chances and Whose remembrance (Zikr) is the surest way for hearts to find peace and tranquility. 

‘My Lord, I take refuge with You from the goadings of the evil ones; I seek refuge with You, Lord, so that they may not come near me.’ (23: 98-99)

Lord, we believe in what You have revealed and we follow the messenger: record us among those who bear witness to the Truth. (3:54)

‘O my Sustainer!Cause me to enter (upon whatever I may do) in a manner true and sincere, and cause me to leave (it) in a manner true and sincere, and grant me, out of Your grace, sustaining strength!’ (17:81).

‘Our Lord, Bestow on us Your grace, and endow us, whatever our (outward) condition, with consciousness of what is right!’ (18:11). 

Our Lord!Do not let our hearts deviate after You have guided us. Grant us Your mercy: You are the Ever Giving.’ (3:10).

‘O our Sustainer! Shower us with patience in adversity, and make firm our steps, and succour us against the people who deny the truth!’ (2:251)

My Lord, let me reach a destination with Your blessing, for You are the best to show man how to reach his (true) destination’. (23:30).

Our Lord, we believe; forgive us therefore our sins, and have mercy on us; for You are the Best of those who show mercy. (23:110).

‘Lord, forgive us our sins and the sins of our brothers who believed before us, and leave no malice in our hearts towards those who believe. Lord, You are truly compassionate and merciful’ (59:11)

‘Lord, grant that I and my offspring may keep up the prayer. Our Lord, accept my request. Our Lord, forgive me, my parents, and the believers on the Day of Reckoning’ (14:41-42)

‘Lord, inspire me to be thankful for the blessings You have granted me and my parents, and to do good deeds that please You; admit me by Your grace into the ranks of Your righteous servants’ (27: 20).

‘Lord, help me to be truly grateful for Your favours to me and to my parents; help me to do good work that pleases You; make my offspring good. I turn to You; I am one of those who devout themselves to You’. (46:16)


‘Our Lord, grant us good in this world as well as good in the world to come, and protect us from the torment of the Fire’ (2:202).

A Prayer of the Promised Messiah (as)

A fervent prayer offered by the Promised Messiah (as) is also reproduced below for the benefit of our readers:

'O Lord of all the worlds! It is beyond me to offer You gratitude for all Your favours. You are most Merciful and Compassionate, and the bounties that You have conferred upon me are countless.

'Forgive me my sins, lest I am ruined. Fill my heart with sincere love for You,so that I may receive life. Cover my faults and allow me to perform such deeds which become the source of Your pleasure.

I seek refuge in Your noble countenance lest your punishment befalls me. Have mercy and save me from the calamities of this world and the hereafter. For all grace and compassion is in Your hand. Ameen, Soumma Aameen’. (Al Hakam, (2: 1), p.9, 20 February 1898).