Wednesday, August 29, 2018

A Poem on ‘Taubah’


On Repentance and Returning to Allah

The time has come for me to see after the darkness of ignorance
My old age is a morning that calls me to its dawning rays
The night of youth is short, so proceed deliberately
The morning is the end of the road for the night traveler.

How have I been deceived by the world and its adornment,
Building my home on the crumbling ground, at the edge of a precipice?
A home whose transgressions remain, but whose delights perish:
How wretched is such a home!

The happy one is not one who is delighted by his worldly trinkets;
Rather, the happy one is the one saved from the torment of Hell.
I have awakened from wickedness, fearful and trembling,
For Allah knows my deeds, open and secret.

If I hold my sins to be grave and they fill me with despair,
I can only hope that they will be eradicated,
By the One who alone can do so…
The All Forgiving.

---(Written by Hadhrat Abul Hasan Abdul Aziz al-Jurjani (ra). Translated from the Arabic by Zaid Shakir)